Feeling Incomplete?

"When you are jealous, you feel incomplete and believe that only by having what you desire can you be complete. This is a false assumption."

The idea that we would be happy if we were someone else, or at least had what they had can be extremely hard to root out and overcome. At best it reflects a lack of self-esteem, at it's worst it represents a complete lack of understanding and faith of who we are in the Universe.

And God knows I suffered from this for a long time. I remember as a teenager I would be truly happy if I were Elton John. If only I had his money and popularity, I would have everything I needed. It's ironic that at the time I was idolizing him, he was later by his own accounts, contemplating suicide!

In high school I never felt I fit in, I was socially inferior to everyone around me. They seemed somehow fundamentally different than me and that I could never fit in.

As long as we define ourselves in relation to what others have or appear to have, we can never be happy. There's always going to be something that they have that we don't have or can't attain.

But it doesn't matter because we have our place in the Universe. Before we incarnated we choose, with the assistance of our guides and masters, the lessons that we needed to learn in this incarnation. This means manifesting certain skills and talents as well as encountering particular challenges to spur our spiritual growth.

To envy others and what they have is to completely ignore our mission on earth: to find our true will or purpose, to overcome our karma, and to express unconditional love upon the earth. To do this we have to love ourselves for who we truly are: spiritual beings having a human experience upon the earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace Sign

A Positive Spin

Next stop for Dade grad with palsy: Harvard