Getting unstuck

Sometimes I'm an expert at getting in my own way. My latest thing has been geeking out. I love messing with the computer. It's just that sometimes messing with the computer messes with my priorities. My not posting to this blog is a prime example.

Now everyday I have stuff to do online. I update my Tarot website (www.bobstarot.com) with a daily Tarot card draw. I check my several email accounts and respond to messages from Myspace. I add content to my websites and Twitter when I have the chance.

But I let myself get distracted with too much geek stuff. I got to where I was spending a lot of time at lifehacker.com. For those of you not familiar with the site, it centers around technology and time management. The motto of the editors is "geek to live". This is the inverse of what many people get caught up in, which is living to geek.

And that's where the irony and the balancing point is at. It's good to know computers, knowledge is power and software is meant to serve and help us reach our goals. But how much software do I really need. Do I really have to try out this "time-saving tool" that is going to draw me into to maybe hours of tweaking it? Do I really have to have one more add-on for my Firefox browser?

I've learned a lot from overcoming technical challenges. I built three websites myself with an online website builder. I built my own Myspace with an online profile editor instead of pasting in someone else's code. I've learned a lot about working with different types of files and uploading pictures.

But sometimes I use this stuff as an excuse to not really buckle down and go to work. Instead of blogging I drift over to Lifehacker.com or start hacking away at my Firefox. Sometimes I spend more time assembling a collection of tools than actually using them. Can anyone relate to this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace Sign

A Positive Spin

Next stop for Dade grad with palsy: Harvard