Mercury Retrograde

For years I've been hearing horror stories about Mercury Retrograde. Computers fail, travel is a disaster, communications go awry. Some folks strenuously avoid signing anything. Others insist it's a poor time to get a psychic reading.

This last one brings a smile to my face. I remember years ago reading for a friend of mine whose sister scowled at her for taking a reading during a retrograde. Moments later both were stunned as I proceeded to identify the four questions she had on her mind as well as outline some useful advice. I have some clients that are big on astrology and won't schedule an appointment until retrograde passes, and that's fine. However. no one can tell me I can't read well during a retrograde based on my experience.

Today a friend forwarded me an email described the typical perils of retrograde that I mentioned above. One thing the little article did say was that people born during a retrograde were inclined to experience increased financial prosperity. This prompted to turn to Solaris,my fellow associate here at Griffin's Loft who is one of our astrologers and ask her about my Mercury in my chart. It seemed to me that long ago I looked at a version of my chart and and I thought I saw a retrograde Mercury in my sixth house.

"No" she said sweetly as she looked at her computer. "Your Mercury is direct". Darn. Thought I might get a bonus from the Universe in the form of a Mercurial lemon becoming lemonade. Then again, I've had retrogrades that resulted in a positive explosion in my reading and hypnosis business...

Now computers are a different story. Those always seem to glitch when Mercury Retrograde is doing it's thing. Or does it? I installed SP1 for Windows Vista on both my desktop and my laptop without a hitch. But on the other hand, I've been getting into podcasting, and I've had the darndest time getting myself listed on this one prominent directory. Problems logging in, problems with proving I'm the owner of the RSS feed I'm submitting for the podcast. A big headache.

Big decisions I would definitely wait on until Mercury goes direct. Several years ago my Mom (who's now in Spirit) was in a nursing home. I needed to apply for Medicaid on her behalf to pay for her care. The problem was, we were in the middle of a retrograde. The prospect of this process getting screwed up and having my mother kicked out the nursing home was scary. I decided to wait.

This decision did not set well with the business office. They were angry with my decision. "It can take up to 90 days for a well prepared application to go through, you have to give us more money now or else..." I put about five grand on my credit card and kept my fingers crossed. I didn't dare bring up the real reason for the wait. The lady in charge was a religous fundamentalist and I didn't think telling her they had to wait for their money because of something Mercury was doing was going to go over real well...

Her application went through so fast the people at the nursing home were stunned. It took just under six weeks and I never got called in for an interview from the caseworker. Was this because I waited until Mercury was direct or because my mother medical condition (below the leg amputee, stroke victim, glaucoma afflicted, pacemaker carrying woman barely holding on) warranted and almost immediate positive decision?

I'm glad I waited. And even though I don't find Mercury Retrograde as painful as some people make it out to be, I would put off signing major contracts or starting a new business until it's over. Astrological configurations are like a weather report. Would you plan an outdoor picnic if there were an 80% chance of rain? Sometimes it's just better to go with the flow than buck the tide.

Comments

Your blog made me laugh out loud. The part about putting off the nursing home contract and working with the fundamentalist... hysterical. Personally, I have been pretty lucky with retrogrades...then again, I don't start new jobs, business ventures, buy expensive items, sign contracts or install new phone or computer systems during a retrograde. Maybe I was born on a retrograde because I did have a nice financial gain.... hum, something to check out. Thanks for your post.

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace Sign

A Positive Spin

Next stop for Dade grad with palsy: Harvard