Dogs are primal Einsteins


When my two daughters started an argument in the car earlier today, they brought it into the house and continued throwing not only verbal balls of fire but also unseen energy. Even after a few hours passed and they were able to quietly converse about their differences the air was still ripped with tension. Our family dog scratched on the outside of the door to my office seeking shelter and I gladly let him into my cave. When he heard their voices getting louder,he pushed my legs aside and hid under my desk. He is laying at my feet as I type this. I don't think he has ever hid under my desk or his cave.

Which brings me to what we don't know about dogs. There are thousands of sites that contain the topic of how anger effects dogs. At one of them, I found the following supporting material, "Many dogs slink away and hide or sulk when their human "parents" argue. A major league fight between adults really seems to take its toll on some dogs. It appears from the dog's behavior that he understands discord and does not want to be around it. Of course, it can be argued that raised voices might drive the dog away but I have heard of dogs that sulk even when their owners purposely keep their voices low. It's almost as if you can't hide anything from a dog." Dogs are sensory animals, extremely connected to smells and anger not only has a sound, and a vibration, it also has a smell. Our ancestors could probably smell anger too.... where did our primal senses go? When did we become sensory idiots?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace Sign

A Positive Spin

Next stop for Dade grad with palsy: Harvard