They Even Have Belly Dancing

The swim mates are multiplying! When I started three weeks ago there were about 10 regulars, then it quickly grew to 15 and today we had 19 chatter bugs in sparkling blue YMCA pool.

I am auditory. I can listen to several conversations at once, the direct conversation I’m engaged in, the instructor’s shouts, the person’s conversation next to me and the person next to the person next to me. There is a constant buss in the pool. With 19 people it is crazy- like a noisy restaurant.

Maybe that’s why we always seem to talk about food. Zipping along, rolling my water weights and jogging forward in the deep end as if I was running to rescue a drowning child I hear, forget that conversation. I can’t repeat what I heard.

On to the next conversation, “Yes, that’s the one, it’s on Pines. They have to die for hummus.” Hum, I must interrupt; I yell two rows over, “To die for hummus? Where?”

“Mazza” they yell back.

I’m genuinely interested; I throw my voice through grunts, sounds of other interesting chatter, and wild splashing, “Where is it?”

A shout comes from the side of the pool; our ripped instructor’s voice is shrill. “It’s in the Publix shopping center on Pines by Dykes.” She motions with one hand flat and the fingers of her other hand in a walking motion (she must be tactile). “You cross the parking lot in front of Publix and it is right there.” Now Susan, Hans, and someone else are all putting their two cents in. How great this is, how amazing that is--

Guess where I went for lunch? It was everything they said it would be and more!
On Friday’s they even have belly dancing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace Sign

A Positive Spin

Instantly help someone in need and discover your power to change a life.