Sugar

My little revolution started while I was in the midst of a sugar high. I already inhaled an entire box of Boston baked beans and I was working on a bar of white chocolate.  While driving to Miami in my jeep with the top down, I looked at the stand still traffic in the opposite direction on the Turnpike and laughed. I held my arm up high and waved good bye to those frustrated souls. Many a day I’d been stuck in the worst Miami traffic; but, not today. Today, I was zooming just not fast enough for some people.


A U-haul truck came up tight on my bumper and flashed his lights for me to move over. He was on a mission and wanted me out of his way. I moved to the right lane. As he passed, he slowed down to take a look at me, the putz who didn’t move over fast enough. I turned toward him and in Miami style I put up that finger- the middle one. Then, my eyes locked on the eyes of the man in the passenger seat and my pointer finger popped up next to my middle finger. The passenger in the truck smiled and gave me his two fingers. I mouthed the words, “peace man.” He smiled. The sugar high kicked in and nothing could stop me.

A mini cooper passed next with the convertible top down. A young woman with a big pony tail and extra large dark shaded sun glasses turned her face toward me. I flashed her the peace sign. Her teeth were bright white and her smile made me happy. I followed her into the fast lane and soon I came up next to a garbage truck. I held my hand up over the top of my jeep and I gave him the sign. He smiled and laid on his horn.

When I arrived at my destination, I tuned out the person leading the meeting. My thoughts drifted to the road and about starting something. What if road rage was a thing of the past? What if flashing the peace sign was the cool thing to do?

Three hours later when the meeting ended “Sugar Sugar” played on the radio and I was back on the road flashing the peace sign to everyone. On a side street I slowed down raised my hand high, smiled and gave the peace sign to an older man riding a horse. He yelled, “Peace!” Then he smiled and I could see he was laughing. He made me laugh too. Give it a try. Give people a little sweetness. It’s what we're all craving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace Sign

A Positive Spin

Next stop for Dade grad with palsy: Harvard