Watch Me

Swimming is heavenly, eventually. For a land lover it’s not easy. It’s a challenge to push muscles that have been used for rollerblading, running, walking, and weight bearing exercises. Trying to breathe with all that water is no fun and the simple act of finding a rhythm can be frustratingly difficult. I was not a swimmer and one day I decided I needed more cardio so I took the plunge. 

“Easy for you- you're a jock,” you’re thinking.

“No, not true. I hated it. That’s it- this sucks. My goggles are fogged. Now they're leaking. They’re so tight that my eye sockets are killing me. I’ve got water up my nose and it’s burning like hell. I’ve swallowed enough of the pool for a brilliant intestinal cleanse. I can’t do this,” is what I said for the first month. Why in Gods name did I continue the torture? I wasn’t alone. Swimming in the next lane was a silent and patient friend. When I complained she said nothing and just kept swimming. Then something miraculous happened, I gave it a chance.

My friend's quiet approach worked. It was really interesting because in her group class she has an overdeveloped set of lungs and a big mouth.. Swimming her laps next to me, she never gave me instruction or pushed me-ever. The only thing she would say is, “Watch me.”

Her style is graceful and strong. Her energy is transmitted in the water and it's calming. With her silent encouragement, I kept showing up to swim. Day's turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. She made me feel safe and not alone. There’s a oneness with the water, and there’s a connection to the vibration and the thoughts transmitted through it. That sounds hokey; but, there’s something in the vibe of the water. I will be forever grateful to her. Not only did she show me how to swim, she showed me a glimpse of heaven. Thank you my dear friend. I am deeply grateful for your kindness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace Sign

A Positive Spin

Next stop for Dade grad with palsy: Harvard